Music Language & Aural
Ensemble (duet, trio or larger formats)
Instrument for beginners (2 to 6 students per class)
You can choose from these three levels in the following instruments: Piano, Violin, Viola, Cello, Guitar, Flute, Clarinet and Saxophone.
Master Level: Interpretation & Musicality
- Discovering individual alignments for each student for comfortable and efficient use of the instrument.
- Communicating individual and personal ideas in music playing.
- Learning to get a mature tone on your instrument.
- Deepen an understanding of the historic and artistic context to form a solid interpretation of the music performed.
- Apply music in real life and life experiences to enhance the music language.
Established Artist Teacher: Inspiration & Knowledge
- Inspiring lessons that promote not only learning an instrument, but grow a passion for music.
- Music Language – Having an understanding of how music is formed and written is vital to becoming a well rounded musician.
- Understand to listen to others playing.
- Learning and acknowledging universal music and repertoire for the instrument.
- Playing by ear – Developing a good ear for music is vital.
Music Teachers: Technique & Self-Discipline
- Correct hand position and technique,allowing the student to develop speed and flow between notes.
- Thorough understanding of how to read music-notes on the staff, rhythm and timing, dynamics of music, articulation of notes.
- Sight-reading– The ability to pick up a piece of music you have never seen before and play it competently.
- Scales, chords and arpeggios– Playing scales is helpful on many levels. It develops good fingering technique and helps you understand chords/arpeggios and their relationship within a particular key.
- Exams– The opportunity to sit level exams allows students to gauge their progress and to set personal goals for their playing.
At Remuera Music Academy, we offer a range of programs to provide a stimulating and comprehensive learning environment for our students.
We have a team of highly qualified and experienced teachers who are continuously exploring and training to provide a high standard of lessons catered to each individual student. We strongly believe in the importance of the correct setup at the piano and we aim to foster the love of music from day one. From beginners to young aspiring musicians, we have the staff and the resources to help them grow.
Practice Coach/Second Teacher:
To complement the regular weekly lessons, we also offer a practice coach or second teacher to help ensure that students establish efficient and effective practice methods. This also provides an accelerated process to re-enforce any areas that require special attention. Application for this programme will require approval from the main teacher and piano program coordinator.
The fortnightly Piano Class creates an inviting environment for the students to perform to their peers, receive feedback from teachers and fellow students, train their critical listening skills, learn to construct positive feedback and be among a group of friends sharing the same interest and passion for music. These classes will include special topic workshops and projects throughout the year.
Each class will be 2 hours in duration with a maximum number of 16 students. Please express your interest and sign up early as spaces are limited. Classes will be on 1:30-3:30pm on Sunday May 7, 21, June 4, 18. If we have high number of interest, a second class will run from 4-6pm.
Theory/Aural/Musicianship Class (NZMEB)
Weekly theory/aural/musicianship group classes or individual lessons are highly recommended to ensure allround musical growth. These group classes allow the individual instrumental teachers more time to develop the students’ instrumental skills and to cover more repertoire. They are designed to cover the specific requirements of the NZMEB theory exams but will also include the requirements for ABRSM and Trinity exams.
The Piano Masterclass at ASM & RMA provides a setting for our students to perform on stage and seek inspiration and expert knowledge from our Head of Piano, Rae de Lisle, and other renowned pianists and teachers from New Zealand and abroad. It is also an invaluable opportunity for both the students and the audience to observe these established artists and educators demonstrating their craft and sharing their personality, passion, expertise, vision and insight.
In addition to the piano classes and masterclasses, there will be student concerts and outside performance opportunities throughout the year. Learning to listen is an important part of any musical education and we are often able to offer discount tickets to concerts by the Auckland Philharmonia Orchestra, the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, Chamber Music New Zealand and the Manakau Symphony Orchestra.
Examinations and Qualifications – NZMEB/ABRSM/Trinity:
We cherish the personal growth for each student as they prepare to make each milestone on their musical journey. Examinations can be a positive incentive for many students and we offer support for all examination boards. We would like to recommend the NZMEB examination system as a New Zealand based examinations board with a specific philosophy to encourage high quality learning and teaching in NZ. The NZMEB is unique in that it also offers students the opportunities to gain credits for NCEA.
Master-classes · Percuaction · Chamber Music · Music Language